Monday, October 19, 2009

Spam-burgers and other September Adventures

Hey all, I know its been a while since I posted anything. Don't really have an excuse. We've been unpacking and organizing the house, doing a little bit of decorating. Just that kind of stuff. We're starting to get a little bit busier.

As for the pictures to share with you... here are some from our outing today. I know I've mentioned that things are different here, what you ask for is not always what you get. Prime example. I have always loved a good Burger King whooper... load the thing with pickles and perhaps a slice of cheese and YUUMMMY! The second week we were here I was so excited to find out there is a Burger King on base. We went and I was blown away but the fact that they have the audacity to call that thing in that package they gave me a whooper. YIKES- it tasted like a very bad version of a Big Mac (Insert shudder right here). So as I've been running into people at random places (the store, park, the bathroom of Juscos, English classes, etc) I have asked where I can find a good old fashion truly beef (not fake beef) hamburger- American style. Throughout these inquires one name kept popping up: Jet Burgers by the Sea. So today we decided to go. There was a 'picture' menu (fairly common around here) with English names but we still don't know how to read the kanji telling us what was on the sandwiches and honestly wouldn't understand it if we did so we just kind of pointed and nodded... this is what we got:

Lalee ended up getting the Chicken Cheeseburger which had chicken pattie, spam, cheese, curry sauce and retucce (a veggie kind of like lettuce and cabbage mixed). Alex and Becca shared a smouthwrester which had hamburger, spam, curry sauce and a weird kind of melted cheese (theirs tasted the most like an American hamburger). Pete had an Hawaiian Burger which had hamburger, avocado, egg, pineapple, cheese, rettuce, tomato and curry sauce. Yes- it had egg on it. I had the karate burger which was Cajun chicken, cheese, eggs, pineapple, avocado, rettuce, curry sauce. Each "hamburger" came with a pastry that tasted kind of like french toast and a sweet potato patty thingy. We also got a side salad to share which had a variety of local veggies and a nice rounded pile of shredded raw fish. . . yum! Okay, I know that reading those ingredients probably makes it sound really gross. It was surprisingly good considering what it looked like when placed in front of us- I mean an egg on a hamburger? Add a pineapple and avocado to that same burger- not pretty. But it was good. The twisted look on my face was because I discovered the avocado on mine by my mouth starting to have an allergic reaction to it. All in all, it was a fun surprise. I don't think we will go there again as it turned out to be kind of costly about 4800 yen- yikes!

We also went and walked around a couple of the local shrines.... The kids are staying next to a bell- I think it might be a freedom bell but we are sure as once again, no comprehend kanji. Here is where the language gap is felt the most for us- in our sight seeing, although we have developed a game where we come up with our own definition of the strange characters that we can't read but explains what we are looking at, some of these definitions are outrageous- mostly mommy just makes stuff up and everyone laughs. Left, the kids are standing in front of a worship area that has a ton of gold. Notice that lack of shoes, most Japaneses restaurants and buildings and sometimes stores require the removal of shoes. It is very rude to walk into someones house with shoes on. The kids have developed a habit of standing rigid straight and staring at me when I pull out the camera- what's up with that???
--Anyway. Love you all. Hope you have a wonderful week--

No comments:

Up to 2008 Slideshow